The simple yet eloquent pamphlet transcribed here was found among a collection of late 1800's holy cards.
There is a printable version found here or on our July printables page.
Meaning of the Ceremonies at Mass
1. The Priest— Goes to the altar.
Christ— Goes to Mount Olivet.
2. Priest— Commences Mass.
Christ— Begins to Pray.
3. Priest— Says the Confiteor.
Christ— Falls down in agony.
4. Priest— Kisses the altar.
Christ— Is betrayed by Judas with a kiss.
5. Priest— Goes to the Epistle side.
Christ— Is bound and taken to Annas.
6. Priest— Goes to the middle of the altar and says the Kyrie eleison.
Christ— Is brought to Caiphas and there denied three times by Peter.
7. Priest— Says Dominus vobiscum.
Christ— Looks at Peter and converts him.
8. Priest— Reads the Epistle.
Christ— Is brought to Pilate.
9. Priest— Prays at the middle of the altar.
Christ--Is taken to Herod and mocked.
10. Priest— Reads the Gospel.
Christ— Taken back to Pilate; again mocked.
11. Priest— Uncovers the chalice.
Christ— Is stripped of His garment.
12. Priest— Offers bread and wine.
Christ— Is scourged at the pillar.
13. Priest— Covers the chalice.
Christ— Is crowned with thorns.
14. Priest— Washes his hands.
Christ— Is declared innocent by Pilate.
15. Priest— Says the Orate Fratres.
Christ— Is shown by Pilate to the people with the words, “Ecce Homo.”
16. Priest— Prays in a low voice.
Christ— Is mocked and spit upon.
17. Priest— Says the Preface and the Sanctus.
Christ— Is kept instead of Barabas and condemned to death.
18. Priest— Makes the Memento for the living.
Christ-- Carries the cross to Calvary.
19. Priest— Continues to pray in a low voice.
Christ— Meets His mother and other pious women.
20. Priest— Blesses the bread and wine with the sign of the cross.
Christ— Is nailed to the cross.
21. Priest— Elevates the Sacred Host.
Christ— Is raised on the cross.
22. Priest— Elevates the chalice.
Christ— Sheds His blood from the five wounds.
23. Priest— Prays in a low voice.
Christ— Sees His afflicted mother at the cross.
24. Priest— Says aloud: Nobis quoque pecatoribus.
Christ— Prays on the cross for all men.
25. Priest— Says aloud the Pater Noster.
Christ— Says the seven words of the cross.
26. Priest— Breaks and separates the Host.
Christ— Gives up His spirit and dies.
27. Priest— Lets a small part of the Sacred Host fall into the chalice.
Christ— Descends into Limbo.
28. Priest— Says the Agnus Dei.
Christ-- Is acknowledged on the cross to be the Son of God by bystanders.
29. Priest— Gives Holy Communion.
Christ-- Is laid in the sepulcher.
30. Priest— Cleanses the chalice.
Christ— Is anointed by pious women.
31. Priest— Prepares the chalice for use again.
Christ— Arises from the dead.
32. Priest— Says the Dominus vobiscum.
Christ— Appears to His mother and disciples.
33. Priest— Says the last prayer.
Christ— Teaches for forty days
34. Priest— Says the last Dominus vobiscum.
Christ— Takes leave of His disciples and ascends into heaven.
35. Priest— Gives the blessing.
Christ— Sends down the Holy Ghost.
36. Priest— Says Ite, missa est, and reads the last Gospel.
Christ— Sends the Apostles to preach the Gospel.
Happy St. Patrick's Day and a blessed Passion Sunday to you and yours!
We have just uploaded some activities for your children to enjoy for St. Patrick's Day -- all created by a 12 year old young lady!
Included are a Word Search, Unscramble the Words, a story and a multiple choice question sheet.
We hope your children will enjoy these free printables!
You will find them on the March page of our By the Month Section.
Updated Catholic Planner now available for Pre-Order!
We were unsure whether to reprint any more of the Complete Catholic Planner or not, and decided at last to go ahead and revamp it!
We think you will love the new look and layout!
There are now nine sections as opposed to the original five. We have divided up the planner into 5 student sections, 1 family section, a "For the Love of God" section, a Monthly Planning Section as well as 48 weeks of Daily Lesson Planning pages.
The student sections now have all the pages needed to plan their year from beginning to end all together in their own section - including preparing for the next year!
There are lovely black and white graphics gracing the pages throughout, plus some new forms to make it one of the most versatile planners out there!
Click here to read more about the planner and view some sample pages!
Pre-Order now for $24.95 for a limited time only. Regular price - $29.99
We hope to be shipping by the beginning of April.
We now have some new free printables up!
In our Lent section of Free Printables we have redone the Lenten Program and added another Lenten Sacrifice chart. A little late, but perhaps something to remember for next year.
We have added a new printable section entitled 'Purity'. There are certificates for both young men and young ladies who want to remain pure for Our Lord.
Coming Soon to Cascia Books!
Welcome to the Cascia Books Blog!